D3100 Firmware Update 1.02
This service provides software for upgrading D3100 A firmware to ver.1.02 and B firmware to ver.1.01. This software allows for simultaneous update of both A and B firmware to the latest version. If these latest firmware versions are already installed in your camera, you need not proceed with download or installation of this Firmware Upgrade. Current firmware versions can be verified from the Firmware version item in the camera’s setup menu.
Be sure that you have read and understand the terms of the license agreement before initiating download of this software from the links at the bottom of this page.
Modifications enabled in this version
- The remaining battery charge is now accurately detected for the Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL14a. With A firmware ver. 1.01/B firmware ver. 1.01 or earlier, the number of images that can be captured (battery life) when an EN-EL14a is used is less than when an EN-EL14 is used. By upgrading A firmware to ver. 1.02 and B firmware to ver. 1.01, EN-EL14a performance is maximized so that more images can be captured (battery life) than when an EN-EL14 is used.
Number of shots possible with the EN-EL14a (rated capacity: DC 7.2 V, 1230 mAh; with D3100 A firmware ver. 1.02/B firmware: ver. 1.01) – Single-frame release mode: Approximately 620 shots (CIPA standard*) – Continuous release mode: Approximately 2350 shots (Nikon standard*) *See the D3100 User’s Manual for details on test conditions.
How to verify your cameras current firmware version
If the latest firmware version is already installed on your camera, you need not proceed with download or installation of this Firmware Upgrade. The current firmware version can be verified from the Firmware version item in the camera’s setup menu.
- Turn on the camera.
- Press the MENU button to display the menu screen.
- Select the Setup Menu.
- Select Firmware version from the setup menu.
- The camera’s firmware version will be displayed.
- Turn off the camera.
Firmware Upgrade Instructions
If you are comfortable with the process to upgrade your camera, use the basic instructions. If you require more support, use the detailed step by step instructions which contain helpful images linked below.
Basic Firmware Upgrade Instructions Power the camera from AC adapter unit or use a fully charged battery.
Create a new folder with an appropriate name on your computer’s hard drive.
- Download the Windows (.EXE) or Macintosh (.DMG) file from the links at the bottom of this page to the folder created in step 1.
- Run the downloaded file to create a folder called D3100Update which contains the firmware D3100_0102.bin file.
- Use a card reader or similar device to copy the D3100_0102.bin file to the root directory of a formatted memory card.
- Insert the memory card into the camera’s memory card slot and turn on the camera.
- Select Firmware version from the camera’s setup menu and follow instructions displayed to upgrade the firmware.
- After the upgrade is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
- Access the Firmware version item in the camera’s setup menu to confirm that the firmware has been upgraded.